Nestled in the majestic Sangre de Cristo mountains of southern Colorado, the Blazing Mountain Retreat Center (BMRC) is located at 2541 Carefree Way, Crestone, CO 81131.
When driving to the center, please respect the Crestone community by using the directions given below. Please do not use directions given by Google Maps, GPS services, etc., as these routes will take you through quiet residential neighborhoods.
Most people fly into Denver International Airport (DEN), which is a four-hour drive from Crestone. You can also fly into Alamosa County Airport (ALA), a regional airport which is a one-hour drive to Crestone. You will need to arrange your own ground transportation from Alamosa. Denver flights tend be less expensive and involve fewer connections.
There are also ground transportation options aside from car rentals available from the Denver airport. Please see the general information below and check the program registration page for program-specific options — not all options below are available for every program.
Getting from Denver International Airport to Blazing mountain
For some programs, Dharma Ocean is able to charter a private shuttle service directly from Denver International Airport to Blazing Mountain Retreat Center. When this service is offered there are limited seats available. Therefore, we suggest that you choose this option at registration if you need this service and would like to guarantee a seat. We have endeavored to keep the fee associated with this chartered shuttle as low as possible and competitive with the bus service mentioned below. Please check the program registration page to see if the charter bus is being offered.
Requires additional public transportation and shuttle service
When we are unable to offer the chartered shuttle service, participants may wish to use the Express Arrow bus service (phone: 402-371-3850). This company runs a bus that travels daily from the downtown Denver Amtrak Station (Union Station) to Moffat, a small town just down the road from Crestone and the Blazing Mountain Retreat Center. It departs from the Denver Amtrak/Union Station at 1:55 pm and arrives in Moffat just after 6:00 pm. You will make a quick transfer in Salida from the large bus to a smaller bus. Tickets can be booked on Express Arrow website and usually cost around $37 each way. It is best to purchase a round-trip ticket ahead of time and print out the ticket before you travel.
You will need to use Denver RTD public light rail transportation to travel between the airport and the Denver Amtrak train/bus station. Detailed schedule information is found here: Denver RTD.
There is no need to book a ticket for DIA/Union Station light rail train in advance; you can pay cash or credit card (currently $9, one way) just before you board. Be sure to plan your inbound flight to allow enough travel time to arrive at the bus station before 1:55pm. We recommend choosing a flight time that arrives in Denver by 10:45am in order to get to Union Station by 1:55pm.
There is no public transportation service between Moffat and the Blazing Mountain Retreat Center.
When Dharma Ocean is not offering the private charter bus, we offer a shuttle service for $15 between Moffat and BMRC on program arrival and departure days. Please check the program registration page to see if this shuttle service is offered for your program and select this option at registration to guarantee a seat.
For the return trip from Crestone to the Denver airport, Dharma Ocean’s shuttle will take you to the Moffat bus stop on the morning of your departure. The Express Arrow bus leaves daily from Moffat at 6:45 am and arrives in Denver at 11:15 am. From the Denver Amtrak/Union Station, you can then take the Light Rail Train to DIA. Please plan your flight’s departure time to allow for enough travel time to the airport.
Click here for a printable version of the driving directions.
Directions from Denver International Airport
- Take Pena Blvd South/West for about 10 miles, until it merges into I-70 West.
- Take I-70 West for about 25 miles.
- Merge onto CO-470 E via Exit 260 toward Colorado Springs, and go 5.7 miles.
- Merge onto US-285 South toward Fairplay.
- Take 285 South through Fairplay, through Johnson Village, SOUTH, on 285 through Villa Grove (about 150 miles).
- After passing through Villa Grove watch for a turnoff from 285 to RT 17 on your Left. Take RT 17 through Moffat.
- As you are about to pass the southern end of Mofat look for a small sign for Crestone. You will turn Left on T Road heading East towards Crestone.
In order to minimize traffic disturbance in the neighborhood surrounding the Blazing Mountain Retreat Center, please use the routes described below. Keep in mind that Crestone is a community that values quiet and slowness. The roads are shared by pedestrians, cyclists, elk, coyote, (even at night), so it is very important to be alert and aware when driving in Crestone.
- From Hwy 17, turn onto County Road T, toward the mountains.
- After 11.8 miles on CR T, you’ll come to wide fork in the road. Go right at the fork onto Camino Baca Grande. (Note: bearing left at this fork takes you into downtown Crestone).
- After 2.2 miles on Camino Baca Grande, turn right on Camino Real (locally known as “Two Trees”). You’ll see Camino Real shortly after passing Brookview Way.
- Continue on Camino Real for 0.8 miles, and then turn left on Wagon Wheel Rd.
- Stay on Wagon Wheel until you come to a stop sign (1.9 miles). Turn left on Camino Del Rey.
- Continue on Camino Del Rey for 1.2 miles, where the road ends in a T. Turn left onto Camino Baca Grande. Continue on Camino Baca Grande for 0.7 miles.
- Turn left at the first opportunity onto unmarked Carefree Way. (There are several large rocks on the corner of Camino Baca Grande and Carefree Way.)
- The residence hall is the first building on the right. The shrine hall is the second building on the right.