Nestled in the majestic Sangre de Cristo mountains of southern Colorado, the Blazing Mountain Retreat Center (BMRC) is located at 2541 Carefree Way, Crestone, CO 81131.
When driving to the center, please respect the Crestone community by using the directions given below. Please do not use directions given by Google Maps, GPS services, etc., as these routes will take you through quiet residential neighborhoods.
Most people fly into Denver International Airport (DEN), which is a four-hour drive from Crestone. You can also fly into Alamosa County Airport (ALA), a regional airport which is a one-hour drive to Crestone. You will need to arrange your own ground transportation from Alamosa. Denver flights tend be less expensive and involve fewer connections.
There are also ground transportation options aside from car rentals available from the Denver airport. Please see the general information below and check the program registration page for program-specific options — not all options below are available for every program.
Getting from Denver International Airport to Blazing mountain
For some programs, Dharma Ocean is able to charter a private shuttle service directly from Denver International Airport to Blazing Mountain Retreat Center. When this service is offered there are limited seats available. Therefore, we suggest that you choose this option at registration if you need this service and would like to guarantee a seat. We have endeavored to keep the fee associated with this chartered shuttle as low as possible and competitive with the bus service mentioned below. Please check the program registration page to see if the charter bus is being offered.
When we are unable to offer the chartered shuttle service, you may use another option that has multiple travel steps as described below.
Step 1: Book your flight so you arrive in Denver by 10:45am
Step 2: Light rail from DIA to downtown Denver
Trains every 10-15 minutes
Take Denver RTD to travel between the airport and the Denver Amtrak train/bus station (Union Station). Schedule information can be found here: Denver RTD. Pay cash or credit card, $9, just before you board.
Step 3: Greyhound from Denver to Salida
Once per day, leaves at 1:55pm
Bustang Service run by Alpine Express runs a bus that travels daily from the downtown Denver Amtrak Station (Union Station) to Salida. Tickets can be purchased in advance for $29 on Greyhound.com. Look for the gate at Union Station that says “Bus to Gunnison.”
Step 4: Bustang/Outrider from Salida to Moffat
Leaves at 5:25pm
Tickets can be purchased with cash only, $7. You will find this bus at the same station in Salida where you are dropped off. Currently, it is not possible to make a reservation for this bus.
Step 5: Moffat Shuttle to Blazing Mountain Retreat Center
Moffat is a small town just down the road from Crestone. Dharma Ocean will coordinate travel for you from Moffat to the retreat center. Please select the Moffat shuttle when you register. The cost is $15.
For the return trip from Crestone to the Denver airport, please reverse the steps and travel above. The Moffat Shuttle leaves early for the return trip at around 6:00am to get you to Moffat to catch the bus at 6:45am. Your outbound flight from DIA should not leave before 1:30pm.
Click here for a printable version of the driving directions.
Directions from Denver International Airport
- Take Pena Blvd South/West for about 10 miles, until it merges into I-70 West.
- Take I-70 West for about 25 miles.
- Merge onto CO-470 E via Exit 260 toward Colorado Springs, and go 5.7 miles.
- Merge onto US-285 South toward Fairplay.
- Take 285 South through Fairplay, through Johnson Village, SOUTH, on 285 through Villa Grove (about 150 miles).
- After passing through Villa Grove watch for a turnoff from 285 to RT 17 on your Left. Take RT 17 through Moffat.
- As you are about to pass the southern end of Mofat look for a small sign for Crestone. You will turn Left on T Road heading East towards Crestone.
In order to minimize traffic disturbance in the neighborhood surrounding the Blazing Mountain Retreat Center, please use the routes described below. Keep in mind that Crestone is a community that values quiet and slowness. The roads are shared by pedestrians, cyclists, elk, coyote, (even at night), so it is very important to be alert and aware when driving in Crestone.
- From Hwy 17, turn onto County Road T, toward the mountains.
- After 11.8 miles on CR T, you’ll come to wide fork in the road. Go right at the fork onto Camino Baca Grande. (Note: bearing left at this fork takes you into downtown Crestone).
- After 2.2 miles on Camino Baca Grande, turn right on Camino Real (locally known as “Two Trees”). You’ll see Camino Real shortly after passing Brookview Way.
- Continue on Camino Real for 0.8 miles, and then turn left on Wagon Wheel Rd.
- Stay on Wagon Wheel until you come to a stop sign (1.9 miles). Turn left on Camino Del Rey.
- Continue on Camino Del Rey for 1.2 miles, where the road ends in a T. Turn left onto Camino Baca Grande. Continue on Camino Baca Grande for 0.7 miles.
- Turn left at the first opportunity onto unmarked Carefree Way. (There are several large rocks on the corner of Camino Baca Grande and Carefree Way.)
- The residence hall is the first building on the right. The shrine hall is the second building on the right.